Token Burn When New Accounts are Created

Did you know that when you create an account, some small fixed amount of tokens are burned?

This is a new feature on Coda’s testnet. Is this clear when you use the CLI? We’re interested in your feedback!

i created an account with the “coda accounts create” command and was rewarded another wallet from it but no info on burning coda?

2 Likes

Hi, I also didn’t notice any info on any burn happening. Was pretty rushed at the time so that might have something to do with it.

1 Like

I did not notice that, neither in the Coda block explorer that is mentioned.

2 Likes

Same here, I created new accounts using both commands (old and new) and didn’t notice any token burn.

1 Like

It wasn’t clear at first but if you think about it, it is sensible. Operations on the network ought to cost some amount of tokens/gas. As such, that makes perfect sense, just like there is a fee to send some Coda elsewhere. Also increases the cost of spam account making.

I didn’t know, and I as far as I can see, it doesn’t seem to reflect on chain. coda accounts create doesn’t display any notification that a small fixed amount is burned. Didn’t find a mention of this in the docs either. Let us know more about the specifics.

Seems like a good idea to add info on the accounts cmd in the CLI Reference. At the moment it’s entirely missing. However, I understand that Coda APIs are still under construction – as is mentioned in the docs.

Another vote to make it more clear. New users encounter it during their first transaction and that interaction is less coda arrives in their account than they expected. Starts the relationship off on a confusing wrong note. Some message to provide context will pay dividends in saved confusion especially when coda grows to less technical users.

1 Like

I don’t have a desktop or laptop. Do I need to be an effective member of this community?