Weekly #minatech Progress updates

Just saw it on twitter, loved it! keep them coming, lets go Mina!

Hi Drea, I think this progress deserves a decent marketing effort: https://twitter.com/izmeckler/status/1482457033378918401?s=20
A few days ago, Polygon Zero announced Plonky2, and claimed to be 100x faster than any other SNARKs, including Mina. That has received massive reception on twitter and could be potentially damaging to Mina eg on attracting developers. Izzy has now reduced that number to 4-5x for Mina, and with plans to get Mina’s Kimchi Snark to be on par or even faster. This is a major progress and we should definitely put spotlight on it imo, maybe a post?

6 Likes

I don’t think this is damaging to mina, probably more like healthy competition. Plonky2 is targeting Ethereum as an L2, not a programmable L1 like mina. So good job polygon zero on the release, and let’s wait for mina to announce better results :slight_smile:

1 Like

technology-wise, of course it’s health competition. But devs working on zk are a scarse resource.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think @lamps makes a really good point. Polygon has literally thousands of developers working on their project. I think it’s really important to not become complacent about competition and challenges. The best tech doesn’t always win.

We (the community, MF & 0(1) Labs need to think about.

• How do we reach developers and make them aware about Mina Protocol?

• How do we attract developers to build on Mina and not other platforms?

2 Likes

To ask these questions we first need snaps on mainnet + well documentation of the implementation we have. As a final step, we need to be competitive and support basic smart contract features which makes tokens/defi/dapps everything possible. While the aim is to work with other chains (better aim imo) to pull developers to the ecosystem. We need a user-friendly capable ecosystem. Otherwise, there is no reason for a dev/project to choose mina over any other chain. While others already have a lot of advantages.

1 Like

Thanks for the message Emre, you are 100% right we do need those things, but now is also a great time to start thinking about these things and visualising the steps to make them happen.

1 Like