Voting manipulation with the Mina weight I'm holding

Hello. First of all, I am very happy to be among you and witness the establishment of this ecosystem.

It might sound like a dumb question but I really haven’t read it anywhere before and now I’m curious.

A question came to my mind. If we’re going to have a voting weight based on the number of coins we hold, someone can buy coins to manipulate the vote, then sell them after voting. All you need to do is a large amount of money. Such a thing is possible in theory. Is it possible in practice? Is there a system to prevent this? For example average of holding coins and average of holding day.

Thanks for everyone.

1 Like

I think that’s how governance in general works for the blockchain.
The main disincentive of doing such a thing is that it would cost them a large amount of money in order to obtain that.

Something to keep in mind is that the Mina Delegation Program delegates 3.7 million Mina to 120 delegates. With that, the delegates have the associated voting power of that 3.7 million Mina.

Assuming that all 120 delegates maintain a fair and just vote (in the interest of the greater community), the people of malice would have obtain more than 440 million Mina to just get past the delegation program voting power.

5 Likes